Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Karen Kozlow







Photos by Karen Kozlow 


At the car wash I met a little girl with the cowgirl and cowboy dolls from Toy Story. I said, “Are they new?” (As she had them kissing each other). Her mother said, “Not so new.”

I had just finished viewing Toy Story 2 and 3, and had tears in my eyes at the end when the old toys were united with a new playmate who would take good care of them. What a good message to children in our throw-away society.

My shrine pays homage to old toys. Recycle and love again. My father made this altar for my mother who had an angel in it that disintegrated many years ago. It gets to live again with some of my broken pottery and a found wood toy – cemented and painted into new life! This piece is now one of my latest pieces in my Disaster Works series.

Karen Kozlow

Veteran of the arts and craft movement, Karen has discovered her niche in life is designing ceramics professionally. Kozlow has created whimsical pieces in clay since 1976, coming from a fine art background in painting. She has shown at the A.C.C. craft fairs, which are the marketing arm of the American Crafts Council. Also, she has shown at the Contemporary Crafts Markets, and Buyers Market of American Crafts, among others.

One person shows include Nieman Marcus Traveling Show, Tiffany's windows Beverly Hills, the La Jolla Art Center - now La Jolla Museum of Contemporary Art, UCSD and San Diego State.

No comments:

Post a Comment