Friday, March 18, 2011

Rodney "Rodrigo" McCoubrey - "Amor Y Luz"







Bio

Rodney "Rodrigo" McCoubrey

Somewhere around 12:51 AM, the 7th of February 1954, in the Southern California town of Whittier, I checked in. Ever since then, it's been an up, down, and all around adventurous journey of passion, rhythm, learning and living all of life's textures. The nature of my work is "FUN". The materials I incorporate in my pieces are primarily recycled and found objects. My resources remain readily available, from dumpster's to roadsides, empty lots, shorelines, to my most favorite of all, Baja California dumpsites (every town has at least one!). The direction of my work depends upon life's inspirations and those emotions that dwell within me, ever changing and constantly evolving.

I titled this piece "Amor Y Luz" love and light...what is symbolically sacred to me about this altar is my deep gratitude and eternal love of my mother and thus i used many icons of the madonna and child to somehow portray the essence and heartfelt sentiment i regard so dearly.having grown up in a predominately chicano neighborhood most of my neighbors usually had some kind of an altar displayed as a centerpiece on a wall or a designated tabletop. it seems that many of thes images somehow still reside within the creative fibers of my inner being,and every now and then work their way through me in one form or another.and the angels seem to represent hope,unwaivering faith,and a direct connection to those omnipotent resources that help us along this journey.hands in the prayer pose represent our ability to find resolution amidst the craziness.as you look closely all the childs images are nustled close in the mothers embrace again representing a sacred place of security and nurturing.almost all the pieces were either recycled,reclaimed or just stumbled upon and somehow given a bit longer shelf life.ingredients are metal wire lathe, carved and plastic angels,the wooden frame came from mexico,the earings/jewelry are from a good friend,steamer parts,rusted nails,metal candle holders are from the san diego 2007 fires via another good bro,and all the other goodies just showed up and wiggled themselves onto their new home...

enjoy and please do recycle...

No comments:

Post a Comment