Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Healing Place by Kirk Fagergren






HEALING PLACE


I am so honored and grateful to be a part of this sacred altar show. I have always loved to build, create andtinker and to be recognized as an artist for this I am honored. Having lost the last of my grandparents thisyear I am grateful for this timely project as it has become a great tool forprocessing my grief and healing.

After getting the news my grandmother (my last living grandparent) haddied, I was left with that returning numb sickening feeling and thought “Idon’t know what to do”. Like a wound sodeep it does not even bleed or hurt yet, I cannot even cry and “don’t know whatto do”. When the numbness ends, I amleft with an intangible pain that there is no medicine for and an “everybody isdifferent” recipe for healing. Memorials, family, time, good memories and loving life have been greathealers. Maybe I like to surf so much because instead of getting beat up or tossed around, I ride the waves and amstoked – kind of like life.

As time passes, I feel my loved ones in my heart and have more smiles thanpain. I also treasure certain earthlymementos my loved ones left behind and always have them close by for comfort.Until this opportunity to create an altar arose these items were in drawers,boxes and night stands. The process ofcreating a sacred alter, building something with my hands, and having all theseitems in one place has been unbelievably healing. I figured out “what to do” and it reallyfeels good – I am stoked.

I built my altar in honor of my Grandparents Alvin and Madelyn Fagergren who transitioned from earth in 2002 within 3 months of each other and James and Charlotte Smith who transitioned from earth 2010 within 3 months of each other and my step father Don who fell from earth from the near summit of El Capitanin Yosemite during his most passionate sport of climbing in 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment